It’s been a tough time…for just about everyone, and everywhere around the world. It’s easy to fall in to a depression, or feel unmotivated for sure. Obviously I can’t even begin to describe the devastating things taking place on a grand scale in the world, but I can talk about some of the things that often hit close to home.
The one thing that has and will continue to get me through hard times is my faith. Even when I am weak and give in to the sadness or frustration or FEAR, if I stop and think back on all of my life, I realize that God is bigger than this. It’s during times like this that I force myself to sit quietly longer, and pray a lot more. It’s amazing how much easier it is to keep stepping forward when I give it to God.
After I allow myself some time to have the feelings that I’m having (and I believe 9 times out of 10 it’s fear based), I then brush myself off and take action. And some situations take longer to work through, but I try very hard not to stay in my feelings for too long. Doing that can really hamper my ability to move forward, so I work hard to take that next step.
Whether it’s a situation in my personal life, the sense of being helpless to what is happening around me, or challenges in my work life, I get through the “feeling” part and then I PIVOT! I actually get a little excited at this point because when I focus on pivoting, it brings a new (or renewed) energy! Here are some of the things I am talking about:
- Connect with someone (or a few someones) that makes you smile. Or laugh. Laughter is amazing for the brain and the energy.
- Make a list (yes, I do love list making, if you’ve never done it, try it!). Make a list of the things that you are good at. Don’t leave anything out! If you are good at encouraging people, write that. If you rock at graphics, put that on the list. Maybe you are super creative, or are really good at being a mom. Put it all on the list. I’m always surprised at how much I forget that I know. lol. This is a good mood booster. It’s also helpful for figuring next steps if necessary.
- Talk to someone who is successful at what you are wanting. Maybe it’s someone who has been married a long time and you just want to hear their words of wisdom for making it work. Perhaps you need to learn something new in your business, talk to someone who is really good at that thing. Maybe you want to be able to help or volunteer somewhere to help others, ask around for ideas. I’ve found that people really do love helping others.
- Get out there and do something. Whether you need to focus on your marriage, work on your finances, or feel the desire to get involved more in areas of the world that need attention, there is always SOMETHING we can do. Research, find groups, talk to people, and then do!
- TAKE STEPS. They can be baby ones, but take them. It’s super important to actually take steps, not just talk or think about it.
I’ve had lots of experience pivoting in my life. Many times I was really worried or sad or frustrated with something, but once I did the things I mentioned above and actually took steps toward what I could control, it has always been incredible how my mood follows!
And guess what, when you take a step in a direction of doing something positive, your endorphins kick in and you feel a little energy. Our endorphins are literally often called the “feel good” chemical because they can boost our happiness.
Many times I also begin to immediately see a pattern. Something good, albeit small, usually comes from it. And I’ll take small wins any day!!
So the biggest takeaway today is to remember not to stay where you are. Realize that we control what we can and we learn to pivot. It’s fun to learn and we want to keep our brains engaged, so get out there and make today a win!
And ALWAYS stop and reflect about your situation and look for the opportunities to be grateful. Being grateful helps us have positive emotions. It actually can improve our health too!
As you can imagine, today I am overflowing with gratitude in all areas of my life. I pray that if you are struggling in any or several areas, that you find some peace and that you take the steps to get back to happiness. Take the small wins each moment!
Love to you,